Monday, February 4, 2013

"Teaching In The Terrordome" by Heather Kirn Lanie (UPDATED)


Teaching In The Terrordome--Two Years in West Baltimore With Teach For America by Heather Kirn Lanier is the true story of a young teacher's first time teaching in an inner city school in Baltimore called "The Terrordome." As I read this book, I quickly learned why! I enjoyed this book very much because Heather told it as it was and pulled no punches. It is funny, sad, eye opening and real. I think the best pat is the epilogue when she tells you there is no magic wand that can fix the problem, but to her credit, she still wants to try. If you liked this kind of book about real teaching experiences, you will enjoy this one!
(Gerard's review, 5+ stars)

Teaching in the Terrordome by Heather Kirn Lanier tells about her two-year experience of teaching 9th grade English for Teach For America in a Baltimore inner-city school at risk of being taken over by the state. She shares about the 6-week training she received to prepare her to teach and her feelings and thoughts about the inequality of education between the middle class and lower income kids. It had my interest at the beginning but by the second year, it dragged along for me. This is a realistic account of how the norm of teaching in an inner city school for Teach For America is. She felt like a failure because the majority of her students were still barely passing and nothing much changed from when she started except for being made aware of how bad off some schools really are.
I liked other ones much better. Guess I just like happier endings and more inspirational ones like I'd Like To Apologize To Every Teacher I Ever Had by Tony Danza, and Nobody Don't Love Nobody by Stacey Bess.
(Karen's review, 2 stars)

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails