Thursday, October 4, 2012

What Do You Think of When You Hear the Word Plaid? (Writer's Workshop)

When I hear the word "plaid" I think of my dad because he ALWAYS wore plaid flannel shirts (except on Sundays to church).  

The Best Shirts Ever!

My dad loved flannel shirts with two front pockets and I don't think he threw any out. When I went through his closets after he died, he had three closets full of flannel shirts and some flannel lined shirts from L.L. Bean. He would wear these all yaar round, even on hot summer days! If he got paint on some, he'd still save those to wear the next time he painted.

My dad had so many shirts because he'd usually get flannel shirts for his birthday and Christmas. I found one still in the original plastic so used it to lay him out in for his funeral. He was never big on suits and I just thought he'd look more like himself in a flannel shirt. Here we found a picture of when he got that shirt which was about 20 years earlier! Who knows, maybe he meant to save that one for his funeral one day--sounds like something he'd do!

I gave most of them away but kept a few for my husband and me. It's really nice to have these because it makes me feel close to dad still when I wear one of his shirts. My husband discovered how nice they are too. He never used to wear flannel shirts but likes them a lot now, especially in the winter to wear to work. They are so comfortable!
One of the biggest fights my parents, thus most memorable, was over him stubbornly insisting that he wear a flannel shirt for the church directory picture.  I thought it was hilarious!  Here is the picture that we purchased which appeared in the church directory:



Read more about my dad and me at "My Funny Dad Harry" blog:  http://karenzemek.blogspot.com.  Better yet, purchase the book I wrote in him memory about my dad and me and how as he grew old, the frustrations about being his primary care giver and how our roles reversed.  (Available on Amazon and Barnes Noble)

Be sure to see what our cats wrote about this over at our other blog, Right Where We Belong. 
This post was inspired by Mama Kat's Writers Workshop prompt:  What comes to mind when you hear the word plaid?.  Stop by to find more or link up one of your own.

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

10 comments:

  1. I can see how plaid would bring back special memories for you, since it seems to be so connected with your dad. The flannel plaid shirt is very comfortable - I remember having one myself, years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading the story of your dad and his love for flannel shirts with two pockets. I'll bet you do feel close to him when you wear one of his shirts. Would love to read your book. Money is low at the moment. Will write it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book is also available for Kindle--think you would enjoy it if you liked this post.

      Delete
  3. That is so sweet. What a cool memory! He sounds like quite the character :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a very nice man, a wonderful husband and father. I still miss him and my mom.

      Delete
  4. love the picture and flannel shirts, I still have my Harry book and I loved every page I felt like I knew him and he had already gone home. SOMETIMES WE JUST FEEL CONNECTED TO PEOPLE WHICH IS NICE

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were one of the first bloggers to read it and I will always feel a special connection to you because of that and the time you took to do the "scavenger hunt" to answer questions about him. Thanks so much for this comment! Hopefully others will see it and want to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, I have that blanket! Does it have fringes at the end? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has fringe on both ends. We got that as a wedding present from a couple at church 15 years ago.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails