Friday, February 10, 2012

"The Dark Rose" by Erin Kelly is WOW!


The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly tells the story of two people: Paul, a young boy and Louisa, a woman. They both have things hidden in their past. I really loved this book a lot! It took me only a day and a half to finish because I couldn't wait to get back to it. It's definitely a page turner that is hard to put down with a shocking ending. This is a double WOW book for sure! I already ordered Erin's previous book. I highly recommend this one!
(Gerard's review: My rating 5 stars out of 5)

The Dark Rose by Erin Kelly is about Paul and Louisa, who each have secrets that fill them with guilt, while seeking to move on with their lives.  Unfortunately, the past has a strong hold on both of them even though they find comfort together and confess their secrets to each other.  Louisa’s past is about a lover’s quarrel with a musician who broke her heart and drove her to the fine line of love and hate. Paul finds himself having to testify against the only friend he ever had which puts himself and those he loves at risk.  This book certainly has a unexpected ending!    
 
It was difficult for me to relate to either of the main characters because their choices were so stupid and had such different lifestyles than mine.  It also was set in England so had some unfamiliar terms.  This book reminded me of a soap opera that I had no connection to because I didn’t like the characters.  I would have enjoyed it more if it didn’t jump back and forth in time so much.  It was hard for me to follow and at one point, I was tempted to just flip through the rest of the book and read the 1989 year stuff first and then go back and read the rest in date order.  I would have organized it much differently, having the background first alternating chapters between Paul and Louisa and then once their lives converged, just continue on in chronological order.  Therefore, I did not like this book very much and do not recommend it.  I’m surprised Gerard liked it so well since he usually likes books with more action than this.  He thought it was great!  Guess you’ll just have to read it for yourself and see what you think of it.
(Karen's review:  My rating 2 out of 5 stars)


Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

We are donating 50 cents for each legitimate comment we receive on all our blogs to Caroline's Kids Pet Rescue to help homeless cats this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails