Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"The Cat In The Hat" by Dr. Seuss

One of my first books that I owned was "The Cat In The Hat" by Dr. Seuss. I was trying to remember the other day what it was about. I don't know what happened to it. I have other books from when I was a kid but couldn't find this one. All I remembered about it was that it was about a cat with a big hat and it rhymed.

I was surprised to see it sitting on the coat rack at church last Sunday. Our church also runs a school and apparently one of the children set it up there and forgot about it. I removed my coat and read the book there in the hallway! It is about two kids being bored sitting in the house on a rainy day with nothing to do until the cat in the hat came in. Basically, he balanced things, including the fish bowl, and brought in two things that ran through the house flying a kite inside making a huge mess. The talking fish kept saying he didn't like that game and the cat had leave because the children were not supposed to have anyone in the house when the mother wasn't home. Then the mother came home and the cat cleaned the whole house up before she got inside because the kids were worried they would get in trouble. When the mom came in, she asked them what they did all day. The kids had a decision to make whether they should tell her or not and ended with the question, what would you do?

It was fun reading this again and refreshing my memory. It repeats a lot of the words so that children can read it themselves. I completely forgot it dealt with integrity. I wonder how many children would tell what really happened while mom was away. I doubt very many. This is a fun kid's book with illustrations on each page.

What was one of your earliest books you remember? Did you read any by Dr. Seuss?

A few years ago I found a Rookie Biography series by Dana Meachen Rau which included one about Dr. Seuss. This is a biography about Dr. Seuss that is written for the beginning reader but still contains some interesting facts and has colorful pictures every other page. The point is reading can be fun. I was surprised to learn that Dr. Seuss wrote a book for adults as well called "You're Only Young Once." It's a very quick read--only takes five minutes!

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? You can help Canine Lifeline (a dog rescue organization that saved our dog, Abby) by leaving a comment on any of our blogs in March. We will donate 50 cents per comment at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails