Saturday, February 19, 2011

"The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett Is Very Strange

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett is teen fantasy which I read for a change of pace and enjoyed.  I normally do not read fantasy books but the teaser I saw for this one at The Adventures Of An Intrepid Reader got my attention.  It looked like it would be a funny book and it is.  I was not at all disappointed.  It's a story about a little girl who wanted to be witch.  When her little brother is missing, she goes after him into Fairyland to get him back from the Queen.  It is sort of a combination of "The Wizard of Oz" and "Alice in Wonderland" and does not make much sense.  The Wee Free men (Nac Mac Feegle) were blue with red hair and about six inches tall, noted for stealing, fighting and drinking.  They were very fast, strong and helped Tiffany get her brother back.  I liked them especially but it wasn't always easy to understand them.  I especially liked the part of the Nac Mac Feegle steeling the sheep and at the end about the lawyer humor. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to escape reality for awhile and just be entertained.  Oh, it's such a crazy book that the printing is upside down so you actually read it backwards!  It's hilarious--a fun read!  You can read my teaser

Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I am glad you liked it! I am also a bit jealous that you got the graphic novel version by the looks of it! I might have to track that one down just so I can look at the pictures.

    If this was your first Pratchett, there are loads of backlist books that you can discover too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun book. I'll have to look for it at the library.
    (Did you ever see David Bowie in the movie Labyrinth? This book sound a lot like that movie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know your review was out~
    I'm a huge Pratchett fan :)
    I echo Marg in saying that you should keep reading him, perhaps with the other books in the Tiffany Aching series?
    I haven't read the graphic novel version here, so that is something to look out for :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails