Friday, October 8, 2010

"The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks

“The Choice” by Nicholas Sparks is a slow moving love story about two neighbors, Gabby and Travis, a veterinarian.  They get off to a rocky start, Gabby has to choose between her long-term boyfriend, Kevin or her new found love, Travis.  Everything goes along quite smoothly until an accident that changes everything and Travis is faced with the hard decision no one wants to make.  “The Choice” deals with the issue of living wills and “How far should you go in the name of love?” 
 
Although “The Choice” was slow-mo and at times I felt I was plowing through it, Part 2 really picked up.  I didn’t care for Gabby in the beginning of the book at all.  She had a dog named Molly and I couldn’t help thinking that Molly should be the name of the woman and Gabby the name of the dog!  (Perhaps because when we got our dog through Petfinder, her name was Gabby.  We changed it to Abby.)  I’m so glad I finished “The Choice” because as usual for Nicholas Sparks books, the ending was very good and I got to care about the characters.  I even liked Gabby by the end.. 
 
In Part 2, Travis is faced with a decision none of us ever wants to have to make, whether or not to pull the plug on a loved one in a coma.    I just found out while reading this book about a young fellow puppeteer whose wife just had a seizure and went into a coma.  I couldn’t help reading this book with him in mind.  Comas can be short-term or go on form many years.  Whether or not to pull the plug on a loved one in that condition is probably the toughest decision anyone ever has to make, yet some people are faced with it every day.   This book really got me thinking as to whether or not a living will is such a good idea after all.
(Karen's review)

Have you read this one? What did you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. I havent read this book yet..however I am a fan of this author. I liked your review.
    Im a new follower of yours from Over 40 Friday follow!
    ~Melissa
    http://candlesinks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails